Tryphon, Respicius, and Nympha
Found in: Turkish Roman Catholic saints
Saints Tryphon (Trypho), Respicius, and Nympha (Ninfa) are Christian saints who were formerly celebrated jointly on 10 November in the liturgical calendar of the Roman Rite of the Catholic Church from the eleventh century until the twentieth.Calendarium Romanum , p. 145 Saint Tryphon continues to be celebrated (separately) on 1 February on both the Orthodox liturgical calendar and the Roman Calendar of Saints.
Saint Tryphon is said to have been born at Kampsade near Apamea of Syria, and as a boy took care of geese. His name is derived from the Greek tryfi (tryphe) meaning "softness, delicacy". He acquired fame as a healer, especially of animals, and is considered one of the anargyroi, particularly involked on farms.
During the Decian persecution he was taken to Nicaea about the year 250 he was tortured and in a horrible manner and beheaded with a sword after he had converted the heathen prefect Licius. Fabulous stories are interwoven with his legend.
His relics were first buried in his native city of Campsada. Later on, they were translated to Constantinople, and then to Rome. His feast day is on 1 February in both the Eastern Orthodox Church and (now) in the Roman Catholic Church.Martyrologium Romanum
He is greatly venerated in the Eastern Orthodox Church, in which he is also the patron saint of gardeners and winegrowers. Many churches were dedicated to him, and the Eastern Emperor, Leo VI the Wise (d. 912), delivered a eulogy in Tryphon's honour. He is the protector saint of the town of Kotor in Montenegro, and one of the patron saints of Moscow. In Russian icons of the saint, he is often shown holding a falcon, a reference to a miracle attributed to his intercessions. Prayers attributed to him are used against infestations of rodents and locusts; one such prayer appears in the Great Euchologion.
Respicius and Nympha
The former 10 November feast day associated with Saint Tryphon two others, of whom little is known: Respicius and Nympha.
In about 1005, the monk Theodoric of Fleury wrote, on the basis of earlier written legends, an account of Tryphon in which Respicius appears as Tryphon's companion. The relics of both were preserved, together with those of a holy virgin named Nympha, at the Hospital of the Holy Ghost in Sassia. The church of this hospital was a cardinal's title, which, together with the relics of these saints, was transferred by Pope Pius V to the Church of St. Augustine in 1566.
One tradition held that Nympha (Ninfa) was a virgin martyr from Palermo who was put to death for the faith at the beginning of the fourth century. According to other versions of the legend, when the Goths invaded Sicily, she fled from Palermo to the Italian mainland and died in the sixth century at Savona. The feast of her translation is observed at Palermo on 19 August. Some believe that there were two saints of this name. Before 1624 Palermo had four patron saints, one for each of the four major parts of the city. They were Saint Agatha, Saint Christina, Saint Nympha, and Saint Olivia. Their images are displayed at the Quattro Canti, in the centre of Palermo.
While Saint Trypho is still listed in the Roman Martyrology , Respicius and Nympha have been omitted.
Tryphon of Pechenga
Tryphon, Respicius, and Nympha article from The Catholic Encyclopedia
Martyr Tryphon of Campsada Near Apamea in Syria Orthodox icon and synaxarion