Yanbu Industrial College
Yanbu Industrial College is a technical college in Saudi Arabia. It was established in 1989 to achieve the objectives of the Royal Commission, in developing human resources and to provide the Saudi manpower with high technical education and training, so that they can properly manage the Kingdom's growing economy in its various sectors.
Yanbu Industrial College is located at the center of Yanbu Industrial City, about 350 km north of Jeddah on the Red Sea side. It is noted for its beautiful buildings and vast green surroundings. The college commitment is to provide Saudi nationals with the technical, scientific and academic skills required by the industrial and other economic sectors it serves. To meet this responsibility the College is equipped with modern instructional media such as computers, audio visual aids, well-equipped specialized laboratories and advanced technical workshops.
The fundamental objectives of Yanbu Industrial College can be summed up as follows:
1. To promote various programs of study in order to meet the industrial requirements of the Kingdom, and to provide appropriate technical specializations to cover the industrial requirements for competent manpower.
2. To provide the holders of Secondary Certificates, scientific or industrial stream, or the equivalent, with opportunities to study specialization programs in engineering technology. Also to provide holders of secondary certificates, arts, commerce or management stream, or the equivalent, with opportunities to study specialization programs in industrial management technology. Such programs are linked with the established industries in the Kingdom, particularly in Jubail and Yanbu.
3. To organize specialized training programs in technological fields for incumbent workers to develop their knowledge and skills which will enable them to operate, maintain, and effectively manage advanced equipment and systems in the industrial sectors of the Kingdom.
4. To organize public programs in fields that of interest to the local community needs.
The College academic calendar extends from September to June, comprising two semesters of 15 weeks each. The summer semester may be scheduled, however, it is usually utilized for cooperative training (industrial placement).
The students who are expected to enroll will have a false beginner-to-beginner level of English. In order to prepare them for the programs, they need to start with a foundation English language course to teach them the basics of the language. By the end of the course, they should have mastered the basic skills of the language: Listening, Speaking, Reading and Writing. Success in this course will be a pre-requisite to the next step, which is English for Special Purpose (ESP) course with vocabulary and content focusing on the respective specialization field of the student. The nature of work that the graduates might engage in, will also determine the amount of time the language skills should receive.
Generally, the students expected in all programs are linguistically weak. They need to learn a profession, which requires some simple language skills. They will be overwhelmed by anything complicated or too sophisticated.
Departments and majors
A. Department of Chemical Engineering Technology
- Process Operations and Chemical Analysis Technology
B. Department of Electrical/Electronics Engineering Technology
- Electrical Power Technology
- Electronics Technology
- Instrumentation Technology
- Information and Computer Technology
C. Department of Mechanical Engineering Technology
- Manufacturing Technology
- Mechanical Maintenance Technology
D. Department of Industrial Management Technology
- Office Management Technology
- Materials Management Technology
- Accounting and Financial Management Technology
- Associate Degree
- Bachelor of Science Degree
ACBSP granted YIC a ten year (full recognition) ACCREDITATION after a period of several months of intensive preparation, inspections and evaluation of the activities performed by its Industrial Management Department. ACCREDITATION means that the knowledge and skills provided by YIC in its Industrial Management Programs are as good as any provided in similar colleges in the U.S. and Europe.
Yanbu Industrial College is the first in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia to be granted this accreditation and the Second in the GCC region.